Monday, January 18, 2016

Winter by Marissa Meyer


Title: Winter (The Lunar Chronicles #4)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genres: Fairytale Retelling (Snow White), Science Fiction, Romance
Summary: Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.
Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?


My Review: 
(Non-Spoiler)
If there was a way to make a perfect ending to a series this comes pretty close to it. The story takes you on a fun thrill ride (despite the horrors of worrying about if everyone is going to survive or not) and it doesn't disappoint, really. There was only one thing that I wished I could have seen more of. If you haven't read Cinder (the first book of the series) yet, you should go now and do so. It's so worth it!

(Spoilers ahead!)
I didn't expect to get as attached to Winter as I did. She's got to be my favorite heroine... Then again there's Cress, who I can relate too. But Winter was such an adorable, fun, little crazy person. I loved that we get to see how this lunar sickness works. The only thing is that I wish we could have seen how the treatment worked. As I said in the non-spoiler section, this is probably the only thing I wanted to see more of. Wait. I lied. 
I really ship Iko with Kinney (a palace guard). I wish I could have seen more of them interacting. They didn't get very far in the book. They're still in the dislike stage at the end. But I think you could tell that there might be something there in the future. 
The one thing I noticed in the book is that the group kept splitting up and never really stayed together at all till the very end. But when Scarlet escaped with Winter from the palace and finally seen Wolf... It was completely adorable! Just what I expected their reunion to be like. 
I really liked that we got to see more about some of the group's parents, even if it weren't all sunshine and rainbows. Hearing that Cinder's birth mother was as crazy as Levana was surprising. I wasn't expecting Cinder's mom to be the reason Levana was burned. I really want to read more about this. I think it's time to go pick up Fairest now.
Did I mention that all the boys in this series are completely swoon worthy? I loved getting to learn more about Jacin. As for my favorite, it would probably have to be Thorne. There's just something about the Space Pirate that I really like. By the way, does Thorne remind any one else of Han Solo? There were times where I thought he could have been Han. 

In case you didn't know, there is a Lunar Chronicles Anthology coming out on February 2nd.




Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment