Saturday, April 9, 2016

November 9 by Colleen Hoover



Title: November 9
Author: Colleen Hoover
Genre: New Adult, Romance
Summary: Fallon meets Ben, an aspiring novelist, the day before her scheduled cross-country move. Their untimely attraction leads them to spend Fallon’s last day in L.A. together, and her eventful life becomes the creative inspiration Ben has always sought for his novel. Over time and amidst the various relationships and tribulations of their own separate lives, they continue to meet on the same date every year. Until one day Fallon becomes unsure if Ben has been telling her the truth or fabricating a perfect reality for the sake of the ultimate plot twist.

My Review:
So as usual, Colleen Hoover delivers an addicting read. I couldn't read it fast enough and the best part? She gives us what we want. You know those stories or movies where the two main characters only meet one day of the year and we get to see what they're up to when they're not together? Well Colleen didn't give us any of that. She gave us a little mini review of what happened over the year and then got to strait to the point- the relationship between Ben and Fallon.
Usually I can like any guy that is supposed to be paired with the main character, but I couldn't really get myself to like Ben (more on that in the spoiler bit).
Fallon was an interesting character. Her relationship with her father was complex. And her relationship with herself was a journey to see. She obviously wasn't comfortable in her own skin and to see anyone come to love themselves is always a great thing to see in books.

On to spoilers!
So most of this part is going to be spent talking about Ben. I don't get how this guy could get someone who was so uncomfortable with herself to strip down the first day that they met. Maybe it's because he admitted that he wanted to see her underwear. Which for me is a turn off. I don't want a guy I just met to tell me that he wants to know want kind of panties I'm wearing. Then there's that whole thing with his brother's widow! I get the getting closer to your dead brother's kid because it's something that you can hold on to (although trying to be an actual father to the kid is, I think, a bit to much), but getting with his wife? And within a year of him dying? Um... No thank you. 
There's this whole thing where he doesn't get the "alpha male" hype. Sorry to say but some of those alpha males are more gentlemanly than he is. 
The whole twist at the end, when Ben finally reveals that he's the one who set the fire to Fallon's house, I kind of expected it to be a where he's actually crazy and did it on purpose. But it was an accident... So I guess he gets off a little bit with that one.

Despite all the Ben flaws, I would recommend November 9. It's a quick read and it's entertaining to say the least. 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment